Daniel A. Worrel, M.D.
About Dr. Worrel
Orthopaedic surgeon and a native Texan Daniel A. Worrel, M.D., joined Carrell Clinic in 2005.
Dr. Worrel completed his undergraduate studies at Southern Methodist University on academic scholarship where he played on the varsity soccer team until sidelined by his own orthopaedic injuries. He graduated with Honors in the Liberal Arts with a degree in Biomedical Engineering. Dr. Worrel is the head team physician for the Dallas Mavericks Basketball team and the assistant team physician for Southern Methodist University.
Dr. Worrel graduated from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School in Dallas, where he was also an Iatros award finalist his senior year. Dr. Worrel completed his internship in General Surgery at University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida. Dr. Worrel completed his residency at the University of Florida where he participated in the care of the Florida Gators. He served as Academic and Chief Resident in Orthopedics and Rehabilitation. Dr. Worrel completed a traveling fellowship in elbow surgery with the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota with Dr. Bernard Morrey, world-renowned expert in elbow surgery, as well as a traveling fellowship in shoulder and elbow surgery/sports medicine with the Kerlan-Jobe Clinic and the University of Southern California in Los Angeles, California.
Dr. Worrel’s interests include disorders of the elbow, shoulder, and knee. He performs arthroscopic surgery, reconstructive (ligament reconstruction and instability) surgery, as well as arthroplasty (joint replacement). He treats sports injuries and fractures of the upper extremity. In addition to treating the athletes of the Dallas Mavericks and SMU, Dr. Worrel treats athletes at all levels. He has provided coverage for The Byron Nelson Classic since 2006, The Cotton Bowl, as well as professional rodeo, baseball, and hockey.
Dr. Worrel has a special interest in treating disorders of the elbow. He performs minimally invasive repairs of biceps ruptures as well as arthroscopic treatment of degenerative, stiff, or traumatized elbows. He also performs ligament reconstruction of the shoulder, elbow, and knee. Dr. Worrel believes very strongly in the importance of an open and honest patient-physician relationship and feels knowledgeable patients make the best decisions about their own treatment. Dr. Worrel feels it is his responsibility to make sure patients are well informed about their conditions and the multiple choices of treatment.
Dr. Worrel has medical staff privileges at North Central Surgical Center, Baylor University Medical Center, and Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas.
Dr. Worrel is a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Arthroscopy Association of North America, member of the American Medical Association, as well as member of both the Texas Medical Association and Dallas County Medical Society. Dr. Worrel is married with two daughters and enjoys golf, hunting, and his two Labrador retrievers.
Dr. Worrel Specializes In:
Shoulder, Elbow, Knee & Upper Extremity Trauma
Education and Training
The University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, Dallas, TX
University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
General Surgery Internship
University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN – Elbow Surgery and Complex Disorders of the Elbow – Bernard Morrey, M.D., Shawn O’Driscoll, M.D.
- Kerlan-Jobe Clinic in Los Angeles, CA – Elbow Surgery, Shoulder Surgery, Sports Medicine – Neal Elattrache, M.D.
- University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA – Shoulder and Elbow Surgery – John Itamura, M.D.
Certification and Affiliations
- Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Member
- American Medical Association, Member
- Arthroscopy Association of North America, Member
- Dallas County Medical Society, Member
- Southern Medical Association, Member
- Texas Medical Association, Member
- University of Florida, Gainesville, FL – Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation
- North Central Surgical Center
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas
- Baylor University Medical Center
- Baylor Scott & White Sports Surgery Center at the Star