Beat the Heat! Great Indoor Exercises to Keep You in Shape
Is the summer heat preventing you from jogging or other forms of exercise and sporting activities in the great outdoors?Beat the heat with these great indoor exercises to keep you in shape:
- Calisthenics : Simple bodyweight exercises such as squats, lunges, calf-raises, pull-ups, push-ups, and planks can be used to target all the major muscle groups including the legs, back, chest, and abdominals.They can be performed in the comfort of home without your having to step out into the sun.
- Light dumbbell workout : A pair of light dumbbells can be used to perform exercises such as bicep curls, triceps extensions, and shoulder presses which can help sculpt your arms and build strong shoulders.
- Resistance Bands : They can be safely used by anyone regardless of fitness level. They provide added resistance to bodyweight exercises without putting excess pressure on your joints like weight training often does. They are also great for targeting the smaller stabilizing muscles of the body.
- Treadmill : If you are regular jogger, the treadmill may be the ideal substitute when the weather does not permit you to run outdoors.The versatility of the treadmill allows you to change speeds and inclines and can help you burn some serious calories.
- Indoor Sports : Racquetball, swimming, basketball, indoor rock climbing, and tennis are great examples of fun sports that can give you a good cardiovascular workout as well as improve overall health & conditioning.
Try all or a few of these activities and stick to the ones that you most enjoy. Exercising indoors when its very hot will allow you to train harder without suffering from fatigue, dehydration, or getting headaches that are liable to occur from overexertion in hot conditions.
Of note, if you have a preexisting medical condition it's best to consult your doctor before starting a new fitness routine.
The physicians at Carrell Clinic are committed to providing the highest level of orthopedic care in Frisco & Dallas, Texas. Book an appointment with us today.