Fitness Tips for the Summer
The summer is the perfect time to improve your health and fitness levels with so many great outdoor activities to choose from. However, the increased heat and humidity that is part of the summer season should be taken into consideration when planning your workout or any physical activity. Here are a few fitness tips for the summer:
- Exercise at the right time of day: As far as possible, try to avoid exercising between 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. which is generally the hottest part of the day. Early mornings are probably the best time of day as that is when your energy levels are high, and the weather is likely to be cooler.
- Wear sunscreen: Your skin can be affected by the harmful rays of the sun even when the weather is cloudy. On a hot, sunny day, a sunscreen of at least 30 SPF or above is an absolute necessity.
- Wear light-colored, comfortable clothing: A lighter color will reflect some of the heat away from your body and cotton clothing will make it easier for sweat to evaporate.
- Drink plenty of water: Always carry a bottle with you and take a few drinks from it before, during, and after your workout. The risks of dehydration are higher when exercising in the summer.
- Check the weather forecast: If the weather is going to be very hot, it may be a good idea to workout indoors rather than risk suffering a sunstroke.
- Choose a shady trail: If you prefer exercising outdoors, choose a trail that offers plenty of shade and is not too demanding on your body.
These tips will help you avoid some of the pitfalls and risks of exercising in the summer season. The physicians at Carrell Clinic are committed to providing the highest standards of excellence in orthopedic care. Book an appointment with us today.