Arthritis Awareness Month is celebrated in the month of May with the goal of helping the millions of Americans diagnosed with some form of arthritis to successfully overcome the challenges of living with this chronic debilitating condition.
Here are some tips for obtaining relief from arthritis pain:
- Keep moving: The idea of exercising or any kind of activity might seem dauntingwhen you have joint pain, but the longer you stay inactive, the worse pain you will experience when you do have to move. Regular exercise will strengthen the muscles that surround and support the joint improving stability and reducing pain in the long run.
- Lose excess weight: Weightbearing joints of the body like the knees and hips willgreatly benefit from weight reduction. According to research studies, a 10-pound weight loss may reduce the stress on each knee by as much as 40 pounds with each step you take.
- Quit smoking: Toxins present in tobacco can cause irritation and inflammationwithin the joint worsening arthritic joint pain. If you are a smoker, quitting the habit will help you cope better with arthritis pain.
- Pain-relieving medications: Many medications are available today that can helprelieve painful arthritis symptoms. However, to avoid side effects they must only be taken as recommended by your doctor.
- Heat therapy: Application of a heat to a stiff arthritic joint will help it relax andloosen up. Heat therapy is great for getting your body ready for exercise or physical activity.
- Cold therapy: Application of an ice pack is beneficial in relieving acute arthriticsymptoms reducing joint swelling and pain. Cold therapy is best used after exercise or physical activity.
- Sleep: Living with the chronic pain can cause a lot of physical and mental fatigue.Ensure you get 7-8 hours of sleep every day to keep your energy levels high.
The physicians of The Carrell Clinic™ are committed to providing the highest level of orthopedic care in Frisco & Dallas, Texas. Book an appointment with us today.