The holidays are a special time when families traditionally come together to enjoy each other’s company over food and drink. There are usually plenty of holiday treats that are hard to resist – candy canes, caramel apples, cheesecake, fruit cake, eggnog, wine, gingerbread, & glazed ham to name a few. By the end of the holiday season you’ve not only gained cherished memories but a few extra pounds of unwanted weight as well! Shared meals don’t have to be the only way promote family bonding. Here are some fun exercises you can enjoy as a family during the holiday season:
- Ice Skating: With a bit of training, the entire family can participate in ice skating. It is a fun cardiovascular exercise that tones up the leg muscles and improves your balance as well.
- Bike Rides: There are plenty of beautiful biking trails in the Dallas that connect shoppers and businesses to the scenic splendor of nature.
- Rock Climbing: Scaling a sheer rock wall can be scary for some, but for others rock climbing can be a great way to relax and unwind. Make sure you have all the right climbing gear and choose a climbing surface that is not too difficult.
- Old-Fashioned Outdoor Games: Kids are hardwired for running. They will love playing tag, kickball, or any kind of running sport with mom & dad. It’s the adults in the family that will have to be careful not to overexert themselves.
- Walking: The simplest forms of exercise are sometimes the best. Long walks with the family in the great outdoors are an excellent way to burn calories, disconnect from electronic media, and reconnect with your loved ones.
By incorporating as many fun activities as possible into your holiday schedule, you will have a great time with your family without having to worry about compromising your health.
The Carrell Clinic offers treatment for Hip, Knee, Spine, Shoulder, Elbow, Foot, Ankle and Sports-related conditions in Dallas, Texas. For all appointments & inquiries, please call (214) 220-2468.