The knee joint is one of the most frequently injured joints of the human body. This is probably because it is subject to enormous stresses while walking or running.
Here are 10 exercises that you can perform every day to keep your knees healthy:
- Leg extensions : Sit on the floor and place a couple of cushions under one knee. Slowly straighten the leg by contracting the muscles above the knee. Pause for a few second and then lower the knee.
- Leg curls : While holding on to a chair or a wall for balance, lift your foot behind you to bring your heel close to your buttocks. This engages the hamstring muscles in the posterior thigh region.
- Straight leg raises : While lying on your back, bend one knee so your foot is flat on the floor. Keeping the other leg straight, raise it off the floor and hold for a few seconds. Repeat with the alternate leg.
- Side leg lifts : Lie on your side with one leg over the other. Lift the top leg to about a 45-degree angle with the floor. Hold for a few seconds and then return to the starting position. Repeat the movement with the other leg while lying on your opposite side.
- Hip bridges : Lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor. Lift your hips off the floor so your torso and thighs are in a straight line. Hold this position for a few seconds and lower your hips. This exercise strengthens your buttocks, thighs, and helps stabilize the knee as well.
- Sit to Stand : Stand in front of a chair and slowly sit down. Then slowly stand up again. This is a great functional exercise to strengthen your knee.
- Step Ups : Step onto a stair or a raised platform with all your weight on the front leg. Bring up the other leg to lightly touch the platform and put it down again. Repeat the movement with the other leg.
- Squats : From a standing position with your feet placed comfortably apart, lower your body by slowly bending at the knee. You may stretch your arms out in front of you for better balance. Lower your torso until your thighs are parallel to the floor and then stand up again.
- Lunges : Place your hands on your hips and take one big step forward. Next, lower your hips while keeping your back straight until your front thigh is parallel to the floor, and then come back up again. Repeat the movement with the alternate leg.
- Use of the stationary bike or elliptical machine : These non-impact exercises are a great way to warm up and strengthen the muscles around your knee while improving your overall health and fitness as well.
The physicians of The Carrell Clinic™ are committed to providing the highest level of orthopedic care in Frisco & Dallas, Texas. Book an appointment with us today.